Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Balance

Yesterday was a cooking, baking, cleaning, going to parent-teacher conferences, running errands kind of day. I felt like a superstar because I accomplished in one day what it usually takes me at least three.

Today is making up for yesterday. There are crumbs on the table and crumbs on the floor. Dirty laundry that needs to be washed and clean laundry that needs to be folded. Toys everywhere. Markers scattered across the coffee table. Dishes that I just don't even want to talk about.

But we did get to play in (a small amount) of snow. And we did get to read books before naptime. And we did eat a rather obscene amount of spinach with our lunch. And I did have the foresight to bake chicken and potatoes for our lunch. And we did get to measure ourselves to figure out how we stack up to a grown tiger. (In case you're curious, it would take two Lukes to make up one tiger, a fact which he finds inexplicably exciting.) And we did speculate about whether and why polar bears hibernate, given that they enjoy and are well-suited for the snow and ice. And Weston and I did get to listen to Luke recite a couple of amusing books he has recently read. (He memorizes books. I can barely remember their titles. Fun times.)

Some days get to be productive. On some days, it's easy to see what we've done all day and easier still to be proud of all we've accomplished. Other days get to be lazy and seemingly unproductive and filled with moments of quiet discovery and connection. The accomplishments might be harder to point out on those days, but the sense of satisfaction in a day well-lived is so much higher.

No comments: