Thursday, January 23, 2014

Cute Things

On Tuesday night, we had some snow (keyword: some. As in, a very little bit. A dusting, perhaps.) and on Wednesday morning, it was still on the ground, so the kids went out in the yard to play with it. When we witnessed some snow during our Thanksgiving trip to Virginia, they were excited about it for all of two minutes before declaring that it was too cold, so I was expecting more of the same. Instead, they stayed out for about 30 minutes, which is impressive considering that they complain about being cold when it's 60 degrees out. (I do, too, come to think of it.) Finally, Luke came back in because his face got too cold...

Me: Is your brother coming in, too?
Luke: I told him he should because his face might get cold, too, but he told me he wasn't cold.
Me: Oh, ok.
Luke: But then, he took off his mittens and his hands got cold, so he wants help putting his mittens back on. I assume that means he's still planning to stay out there because why would he want to put his mittens back on if he's coming inside?

(I really like it when he narrates his thoughts like that. Especially when he does it using phrases like "I assume." It makes me want to smush-and-nom him, which, I assure you, is much more loving than it sounds.)


Last night, we decided to have movie night and since Luke and I had just finished reading Charlotte's Web for the second time, we thought it would be fun to watch the movie. Weston was fine until the end, when Templeton (the rat) took the egg sac and brought it down to Wilbur (the pig) so they could carry it back to the barn because Charlotte was dying at the fair. (Um. That was a terrible summary, I know. Sorry.) At that point, he started trying to climb out of his chair and was doing his "I'm trying to keep it together, but I really want to cry," snuffle.

Me: West? Are you ok?
Weston, starting to cry: Pick me up!
Me, picking him up: Of course I will. Are you sad about the movie?
McMoose: Are you sad that Charlotte died?
West: No! I sad because the rat bit Charlotte's web and the pig put the web in his mouth.
Me: That was the egg sac, West. There were eggs in there with baby spiders inside.
West: Oh.
Me: The rat was helping. He was doing a good thing so they could take the baby spiders back to the cozy barn.
West: The rat bit the egg sac. I saaaad.

I find it fascinating that he can be so empathetic and concerned about a fictional spider, but has no problem spending all day manhandling his brother. (Then again, what good is a brother if you can't poke, push, climb on, tackle, and generally annoy him?)

No comments: