Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Mini-Personal Trainer

Working out at the gym: I have to get into my car and go somewhere, there are strangers there, other sweaty people have touched the equipment, there are strangers there, the mirrors everywhere are both bothersome and disorienting, the equipment is mildly intimidating, and oh, have I mentioned the strangers who are there?

Working out outside: It's lovely. Nature and birds and squirrels and tranquility and all of that. I love a good walk on a trail. Except there is a thing in Washington DC called the murder trail or the rape trail or something like that. And although I do not live in DC, I feel that a murderer or rapist could just as easily work in North Carolina. And also, it rains sometimes and it's cold sometimes and people on bikes forget to say, "Passing on the left" sometimes and then, they almost run you over. And when we go on the trail, the kids want to walk or ride their bikes or pick up 284 sticks to carry around and none of these are conducive to a good, aerobic work out.

Working out in my living room while watching an exercise program on tv: It's convenient. And free. And I don't have to worry about getting someone to watch the kids. And there's even an added comedic bonus: Weston spends the whole time repeating phrases he hears from the personal trainer on the tv or correcting my form. Things like, "Use the opposite arm, opposite leg, Mama." "One leg up, two arms up, Mama." "This is hard, isn't it, buddy?" "If you want to get the results, then you have to put in the work!" And every time I do any mat work, he tells me I look like a bridge and then attempts to crawl under me, so my muscles get to do the extra work of holding a position for long enough to let him go past.

Guess which workout option I've been choosing lately...

No comments: