Friday, January 24, 2014

Magical Thinking

Sometimes, I go about my day, talking to the kids and carrying on like normal and I forget that they're still really very little. And that they have very little concept of how the world works.

Luke, trying to poke a magnolia-cone (like a pinecone, but from a magnolia tree...what are they called??) into the ground: Nothing's happening!
Me: What were you hoping to have happen?
Luke: I'm planting it, so it should grow into a magnolia tree and it's not doing that.
Me: Well...trees take a long time to grow. Remember?
Luke: I don't HAVE a long time! I want it to grow right now! Just plant it for me so it will grow!
[Life lesson: I cannot make things grow instantly. I am not magic.]

Weston, trying to get blocks to stay up in an impossible configuration: My tower falls dowwwwnnn!
Me: Bummer! How disappointing.
Weston: Tower! Stay up! I telled my tower, "stay up!"
Me: Yes, I heard you. You said it very loudly. Do you think it will help?
Weston, stacking them back up and watching them fall back down: Mama! I want you make my tower stay up!
[Life lesson: I cannot defeat the law of gravity. I am not magic.]

Someday, they'll learn that plants take time to grow and that you must consider center of gravity when building a tower and that I'm not magic. I hope that day is a long time coming.

No comments: