Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Slight Disconnect

I've been switching back and forth between my Indian and American accents when talking to people, which has been the source of great amusement for McMoose. I thought I was doing fairly well, until I had to call the front desk at the resort because housekeeping had taken all our towels and cups and forgotten to leave us new ones.

Me: Hello?
Front Desk: Yes, ma'am.
Me, in an American accent: Yes, I'm calling from room 103. Could you send us some towels.
Front Desk: Yes, ma'am? **Note: See the question mark at the end of that "Yes ma'am?" That translates loosely to "Look, woman, I have no idea what you're talking about, but you're paying me, so I'm going to humor you."**
Me, in an Indian accent: I'm in room One-Knot-Three. We need some towels.
Front Desk: Yes, ma'am?
Me, still in an Indian accent, trying to ignore the fact that McMoose is now rolling on the floor with laughter: Room. One. Zero. Three. Can you send towels? Please?
Front Desk: Yes, ma'am.

Ten minutes later, they showed up with a menu from the restaurant and some coffee. So still no towels, but at least we now have cups.

No comments: