Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Series of Very Fortunate Events

I really don't think I'm overstepping when I say that it is entirely possible that I had the least stressful wedding in the history of weddings. Which was absolutely fantastic, as well as being wholly unexpected, because considering how many wedding-related things went wrong in the months before the wedding, I pretty much expected my world to implode on the big day. And I was very pleasantly surprised because contrary to my expectations, everything happened at around the right time, everyone got along with each other, and even though I had no idea where my car keys were THE ENTIRE WEEKEND, I was surrounded by people who very graciously helped me look for them.

And as people were leaving, several of them mentioned how nice everything had been and what a good job McMoose and I had done of planning the thing, and I felt slightly...guilty. Because in reality, I think it was nice despite us, and not because of us. See, we had no Grand Vision for this day. In fact, we pretty much let the professionals do whatever they wanted. And the few guidelines that we did provide? Completely spur of the moment decisions. For example, when the baker asked what cake we wanted, our response was "Um...maybe...white? And with...hm...let's see...blue frosting? And some kind of decoration on it might be nice...right?" And we had very similar conversations with the DJ, the florist, the pastor, and the very patient woman at the reception hall. And, as it turns out, these people? They're pretty damn good at their jobs.

And the not-so-much professionals who were involved in this wedding did their jobs perfectly too. The hyperactive 8-year-old ring bearer did an admirable job of not losing the rings, the various family members did an even more admirable job of being civilized and getting along, and people actually got up and DANCED at the reception (albeit with a good deal of encouragement). And despite a forecast of thunderstorms, even the weather was unrelentingly cheerful. And now? I get to play with the MOUNTAIN of presents in my living room.

1 comment:

ssgreylord said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I wondered where you were over the weekend. Shoulda guessed it was the wedding weekend. And to hear it was so stress-free. That's awesome and it's the way it's supposed to be. Happy opening (of gifts). Time to play house. Have fun...