I love the drive from North Carolina to Virginia. Love it, love it, love it. Love the fact that the interstate is flanked by trees, love that there are wildflowers in the median, love how the mountains go from blue to green the closer you get to them. And at some point during this drive, I invariably start thinking about the blueness of the sky! And the greenness of the grass! AND THE SHININESS OF THE TRUCKS! And I grin, and I sing, and I feel very much like Tigger on Prozac. Which is a nice change because generally speaking, I'm more like Eeyore on downers. At a funeral.
But this drive is mind-blowingly excellent. And I think part of the reason I love it so much is that I spent my adolescence in the Midwest, and at some point, when you're driving through Indiana and you've got three hours behind you and three left to go and there are dried up corn fields as far as the eye can see and even the talk radio stations have faded into static, the term "dying of boredom" takes on a whole new meaning. One time, I actually considered putting the car on cruise control, popping my eyeballs out of my head, and juggling them, just so I'd have something to do.
I wish I could bottle the optimism I felt during my drive this morning so I could sip at it for the next two days.
Thursday, May 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Tigger on Prozac was a good one. What an image. As well as bottling up the beauty and sipping at it. Nice writing. I always enjoy your reads.
Post a Comment