Thursday, May 22, 2008

If Only I Had a Tiger

I keep getting emails from PayPal telling me that there has been a security breach on my account and that I need to verify my information as soon as possible, the implication being that if I don't email them back that very instant, ALIENS WILL TAKE OVER THE WORLD. And they're dead serious about this too, because they send me multiple emails each day. In fact, when I logged on this morning, my email account took me aside and explained to me that I was THIS close to exceeding my storage limit and if I didn't rectify the situation immediately, it would no longer be able to be my friend.

In theory, this rash of emails sounds fantastic. It sounds like PayPal is on top of their game. It sounds like they're being cautious and conscientious and keeping their clients' best interests in mind. The only problem? I don't HAVE a PayPal account. And I'm really, really tempted to reply to one of these emails, just so I can say:

"Dear Person Who Wants to Steal My Identity,
Please take me off your mailing list, as I do not have a PayPal account. And also, the fact that you send out twenty-nine emails per day? That makes you seem slightly overzealous. It might be a tip-off to your potential victims that you are, in fact, a fake. Kindly do your research the next time you try to scam people."

The other alternative, of course, is to move to Burma and raise tigers. I'd like to see someone try and steal my identity then.

2 comments:

ssgreylord said...

Nice one. (post, that is, as well as your idea to go to Burma and raise tigers...very funny stuff).

Aren't these scammers a little stupid? Do they expect us to be that stupid too?

Seasoned By Grace Designs said...

Very Funny, I have gotten those emails too, and don't have an account. Now I know how to handle them.. Thanks for the tip!
Have a great day!