Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Day Before Halloween

'Twas the Day before Halloween and all through the world, strange things were happening right in front of this girl. So strange were these things that she went to the computer, opened her blog and wrote about scooters.

Ok. I'm not really going to write about scooters. But it was the ONLY THING that (kind of) rhymed and (kind of) made sense.

  • There was a road sign today on my way to work that said that the road will be closed for 5 hours this weekend because of a street race. Maybe I don't fully understand the nuances of that message, but...aren't street races dangerous? And also, illegal? And yet, the Department of Transportation (or whoever is in charge of putting up those electronic road signs and closing down roads) is okay with this? And even if I'm wrong and street races are actually as legal and safe as skim milk, is it really a great idea to have people racing on a street that is always teeming with pedestrians?
  • I really enjoy walking across the quad on campus because there is always--ALWAYS--something crazy going on there. On Tuesday, there was a man re-enacting bible verses that pertained to hell and the devil. At one point, he halfway climbed up a tree, threw himself off, and then lay on the ground writhing and yelling about how if you succumb to sin, you will be thrown into the flames. Today, in that same spot, there was a condom distribution booth set up and the people who were running the booth had (hopefully unused) neon-colored condoms pinned all over their clothes. And they were tossing condoms to all passers-by. Since I passed by, I got one flavored like cookie dough ice cream. Didn't even realize they MADE those.
  • For the past six weeks or so, I've gone to Bruegger's for lunch every Tuesday and Thursday. And every single time, I get a bowl of soup and a strawberry yogurt. And EVERY SINGLE TIME, the woman at the counter says, "Soup and a yogurt, what a combination!" And she says it like it's the first time she's ever said it. Every. Single. Time. So now I'm wondering if maybe she has that form of amnesia where you keep losing your memory every few minutes, so she really thinks that we've never had this conversation before.

No comments: