Earlier this week, I had a meeting with my advisor, and I arrived feeling more than a little run down, in large part because of the mile long walk from the parking lot to her building. Apparently, my run down-ness showed because approximately 12 seconds into the meeting, she suggested that perhaps it's time I started thinking about working from home more. Since most of my current work involves making final touches to the thesis document, I decided to take her advice and have spent three days this week working from home.
Yesterday, I went in to the office for the sole purpose of getting some books and articles that I need to continue my work, but found this morning that I had left them still sitting in the car. So after trying (and failing, miserably) to put my feet into flip-flops, I decided that house slippers would work just fine, and opened the door...only to notice a yellow streak go running past me. My first reaction was to yell for the Dog, because he's usually the one who's most likely to plan an escape, but as it turned out, this time, it was Yellow Cat.
Up until now, any time Yellow Cat has gotten out of the apartment, he has sat confusedly outside the door and screams. Today, of course, he ran straight for the stairs and headed downstairs. Which made it necessary for me to waddle-run down the stairs while hissing at him to "Get back here this INSTANT!" My hissing was completely useless, as it turned out, because Yellow Cat made it all the way downstairs and out to the parking lot, where he promptly CLIMBED A TREE, and then proceeded to FREAK OUT about the fact that he was in a tree. So there I am, 8 months pregnant, in my house slippers, standing on my tip-toes and doing my best to speak in calming tones while trying to catch a screaming, angry cat. Meanwhile, the neighbor's teenage kids and their friends are all watching me and trying not to laugh.
After about 5 minutes of this, it finally occurred to one of the kids that hey! Maybe we should go offer to help! So one of the taller ones came over and 15 seconds later, a very grumpy Yellow Cat was returned to my possession. He has spent the past two hours "recovering" from his adventures and I have spent the past two hours trying to get the mud out of my slippers and wondering what possessed me to get the demon-cat in the first place.
...I might not be cut out for this "working from home" stuff after all...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment