Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Foolishness

I'm not big on the April Fool's thing because (a) I'm never together enough to plot and carry out a really good joke (b) when you habitually forget what day it is and people walk around playing pranks on you and YOU CAN NEVER RETALIATE because you're a terrible prankster, it's not so much fun. This is also why I've never been fond of the whole pinch-the-person-who's-not-wearing-green tradition on St. Patrick's day. But for the past couple of years, I really haven't been pranked because other people in grad school suffer the same issues as me and either don't remember the date or just don't care enough to put in any real effort. This year, however, the world seems to be full of pranks.

-My alarm pranked me this morning by ringing at 8:03, 8:18, 8:33, 8:48, 8:49, and 8:51. The times that I had actually set it for were 8, 8:15, 8:30, and 8:45. It's entirely possible that there's actually a problem with the alarm and that it wasn't just a diabolical plan to confuse me first thing in the morning, but then again, it's also possible that the thing is possessed by the spirit of a prankster.

-The weather people pranked me by saying it was supposed to be cold and rainy, but in reality, it was actually pretty warm and pretty dry (for the most part). So I got to walk around looking foolish in my raincoat, while everyone else (who apparently got the RIGHT forecast) was walking around in t-shirts.

-My computer at work pranked me by telling me that it had saved the changes to a document I was working on, but not actually saving them. Granted, this is the kind of thing that computer might do any day of the year, but still...

-When I get home, The Dog usually jumps around in his cage and generally acts crazy. Today, for the first time EVER, not only was he not jumping, he actually stayed asleep. Even when I went into the room and called his name. Which of course, led me to the conclusion that he was dead or dying because that's just completely abnormal behavior for him. The minute I opened the cage door, however, he got up and dashed out of the room in one quick flash, and then spent the next 15 minutes running around the apartment, crashing into the walls, and trying to eat the cats. So...I'm pretty sure he's not dying. Unless one of the cats decides to kill him, which judging by their reaction to his little rampage, they very well might.

No comments: