Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Signs of Spring

After spending seven years in northern Illinois, I was always amazed by the fact that in Virginia, spring came in March or April, rather than late June. And for me, the most exciting sign of spring was the cherry blossoms, which we didn't have in Illinois and which would burst into bright whites and pinks for a week or two, and then fade to a cheery green. Imagine my delight when I discovered, upon moving to Raleigh, that there are cherry blossoms here, too. Lots, in fact. So for the past three years, every spring, I've taken pictures of the cherry blossoms when they first start blooming because I'm still not altogether convinced that by the next year, they won't all have magically disappeared.

I was very excited to discover that the drab, little, green trees that are everywhere in our current apartment complex are actually cherry blossoms! White ones, which of course, are the best kind! They're turning more green every day, so this past weekend, I decided that it was time for my annual round of pictures:


And while we're talking about signs of spring, look what McMoose found sitting in our kitchen:
Apparently, this is what happens to onions after 2 weeks of sitting unused. Of course, I was completely unable to even think about throwing it in the trash, so instead, we threw it in the woods behind our apartment complex. If, 200 years from now, the state of North Carolina is one, big, wild onion patch, you'll know who to blame.

1 comment:

Rachel Ratliff said...

beautiful...i love cherry blossoms!