Monday, September 22, 2008

Cancellation Tribulation

About three weeks ago, I made an appointment with a doctor, and then heard some very bad reviews about that practice, so decided to cancel the appointment. Now, making that appointment is on my list of Top 10 Easiest Things I've Ever Done in My Life. Cancelling it was a whole 'nother story. I called about 2 weeks ago to cancel and spoke to a very confused sounding person, and that conversation went something like this:

Me: Hi, I have an appointment for such-and-such a day and I'd like to cancel it.
Receptionist: I can't do that.
Me: You...can't cancel appointments?
Receptionist: Well, hold on, maybe I can.
Me: ...o...kay...
Receptionist: What's your name?
Me: Anisha LastName
Receptionist: I'm sorry, your appointment is with Dr. Scott and I can only cancel appointments for the other doctors.
Me: Um. Really?
Receptionist: No wait, I found a button that says cancel. I think it worked.
Me: Great!
Receptionist: Yeah, I think your appointment is cancelled, but call back tomorrow to make sure.
Me: Ok. Sure.

Since I am the queen of procrastination, I did not call the next day, but decided to wait until just now. And THAT conversation went something like this:

Me: Hi, I had an appointment for such-and-such a day, and I tried to cancel it 2 weeks ago, but the person I talked to wasn't sure if it was actually cancelled or not, so I'm just checking back.
Receptionist: Ok, what's your name?
Me: Anisha LastName.
Receptionist: No, it didn't get cancelled...in fact, you have 4 appointments scheduled back to back.

So...the first receptionist pushed the cancel button and instead of cancelling the appointment, three additional ones popped up? And also, don't you think that someone at that office should have gotten suspicious that the same name showed up on four consecutive appointment times?

No comments: