Wednesday, September 17, 2008

To Print or Not To Print?

About a week ago, I noticed that whenever I sent a document to the printer, the printer just sort of ignored it and stuck its thumb out at me. And since I'm not altogether motivated to investigate problems related to computers and printers, I decided that, hey, you know what? I don't need to print things. No...in fact, it's a GOOD thing that the printer doesn't work because...now I get to be more environmentally friendly. And I can just read things on my little laptop screen. Nooooo problem.

Until my boss informed me that she would NOT be reading my thesis proposal on a computer screen, so I'd better print it out. My first response, of course, was to moan to my office mate about the how the darn printer hated me and the tech support guy is always out of his office. My office mate very sensibly pointed out that perhaps I should just unplug the printer. And then plug it back in. So I did. And GUESS WHAT? It works now. That's all it took. So here's my question: WHAT IN THE WORLD was wrong with it in the first place, that all it took to fix it was to pull the plug? Because doesn't that seem like the end-of-the-rope, tried-everything-else, head-is-about-to-explode solution?

But in any case, it works now. Or rather, it worked for about 20 minutes yesterday. Because when I tried to print something today, it printed every other line. What the heck kind of error makes it print EVERY OTHER LINE? I just can't even BEGIN to understand this stupid machine.

No comments: