Friday, September 5, 2008

School Zones

When I was in high school, we lived in Illinois, about an hour north of Chicago, so that's where I learned to drive. And near-Chicago drivers? They're really good at avoiding accidents at high speeds, but not always so great at following speed limits. If people in Raleigh made it their job to drive as fast as the near-Chicagoans did, there would probably be about five times more auto accidents here than there currently are.

Up until recently, I held this slow driving pace against the Raleighans. (Raleighers? Raleighists?) Because let's face it, it's no secret that I'm (a) impatient and (b) usually running late, so I like driving fast-ish. I say fast-ish because I'm not one of those crazy people who go 30 mph above the speed limit while weaving in and out of traffic. I don't have a death wish. But I also don't like being stuck behind people who don't appreciate the fast-ishness. I mean, seriously. If you're doing 30 in a 55 zone, you're just putting yourself in danger of being beaten to death with a golf club.

But I have come to realize that there are SOME instances when the slow Raleigh pace is a good thing, school zones being the example that comes most readily to mind. Now of course, all states have school zones and increased fines for speeding in a school zone and all that. But in Illinois? Not too many people cared. And every time I walked to school, I knew that I was essentially playing a high stakes game of chicken with every car on the road, most of which sported "My child is an honor student at such-and-such a school" stickers.

Here in Raleigh, it's a whole 'nother story. People actually SLOW DOWN in school zones. To 35 mph. Sometimes even 30 mph. The crossing guards don't fear for their lives. And very young people skip merrily across the crosswalk, confident in the knowledge that local drivers care more about not killing them than they do about making it to that 9:30 meeting on time. And I have to admit, it's very pleasant.

No comments: