I tend to be fairly conservative in terms of Trying New Things, especially when those New Things are actually New Foods. So this afternoon, when I went to one of my favorite lunch places and ordered one of my favorite items on their menu, I decided that I'd be a little adventurous and try one of their little fruit drink things. And since normally, the only juice I drink is apple, I decided to go even further out on the limb and try mango (because let's face it, pineapple is just too strange and banana? HOW DO YOU JUICE A BANANA?)
The can was all orange and ice cold and just generally appealing and I noticed it said "Juice with Fruit Pieces," and thought the whole thing sounded very interesting, so I hurried back to my office and popped it open. Let me just start by saying that almost immediately, I was beginning to regret this whole venture because the juice? It resembled egg drop soup. And it was yellowish brown, which is not at ALL the color I associate with mangoes. But it smelled mango-ey and delicious, so I decided to put my fears aside once again.
At first sip, something seemed odd. I took another sip. And a third. And then I realized: the bits of fruit floating around in my juice? They tasted nothing like mango. So upon closer inspection of the ingredient list on the can, I found out that the breakdown of the drink was like this:
-10% mango juice
-50% peach smush
-water, asorbic acid, citric acid, etc.
So...my mango juice was actually PEACH juice with a little bit of mango flavoring added in. And also, what exactly is "peach smush?" I mean, is that really the best, most technical term they could find to describe the stuff?! But with that said, I gotta tell ya--next time I go back to that restaurant, I'm totally getting more of this weirdness. Maybe I will try the banana after all.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment