Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Going Postal

Have I mentioned that I'm rather fond of the fine art of procrastination? So keeping this fact in mind, of course I would wait until two days before the end of the month before going to the post office to change my address, even though we've actually been in this apartment now for almost 10 days. But the post office kind of reinforces all of my procrastinating ways because it always provides oh, such a dreadful experience.

McMoose, being the productive and intelligent being he is, promptly changed his information online AND took great and perverse pleasure in informing me that had I changed my last name two months ago like I was supposed to, he could have changed my information online too. But of course I haven't changed my name yet, so I had to do my own. And furthermore, you can only do it online if your bank already knows your new address, which mine (surprise, surprise) did not. So off I went to the post office.

And stood in line. And stood in line. And STOOD. IN. LINE. And after about 20 minutes of that, I finally got called up to speak to a Very Ornery Man who, oh, by the way, was also Very Hard of Hearing:

Me: Hi, I just need a change of address form.
Man: Do you have a yellow slip?
Me: Uh, no...I need a slip for a change of address form?
Man: You need the slip that the postman left you, or you can't get your package.
Me: *pause* O...kay...I don't have a package. I need a change of address form.
Man: Ma'am, without the slip, I can't give you the package.
Me: No. There is NO package...
Man: I'm sorry, ma'am, but I can't help you. Next person in line please!

Ok, so do you see? Do you SEE why I put these things off for as long as I humanly can?

No comments: