Tuesday, July 22, 2008

They'll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain

I always bemoan the fact that I'm quite possibly the most distract-able human being on the planet. I would rather be doing anything other than the thing that I'm actually supposed to be doing. Playing sudoku? Far better than reading an article or writing a paper. Knitting--much more enjoyable than doing the laundry or cleaning out the fridge. And anything, anything, ANYTHING is better than washing my car or walking the dog.

But today marks a victory for me. I went to work. I did not check my email. I did not read the news or do a crossword or play solitaire. I WORKED. Imagine that. Working. At work. And I didn't take any vending machine breaks or talking to my co-worker breaks or picking at my toenail breaks. And the task that usually takes me 5 hours to do took all of 90 minutes. Which means that today? I am the most productive human being ON THE PLANET.

And this burst of productivity couldn't have come at a better time because McMoose informed me yesterday that his aunt and uncle would be coming for a visit. Today. For those of you who are counting, that's 24 HOURS OF NOTICE. While we're in the midst of moving. In his defense, he did unpack a lot of stuff last night. In his not-so-much defense, he informed me that they might get here a few hours before he gets home from work and that I should keep them entertained with "chit-chat." Which in reality will translate to "sitting there and staring at each other for two. full. hours."

No comments: