While we were walking around the Newark airport a couple of weeks ago, there was a woman with three very young children and a cartful of luggage who was simultaneously trying to feed her infant, keep her toddler from pulling the bags onto himself, and keep her other toddler from rolling around on the floor. And as she stood there making what seemed to me to be a superhuman effort to keep all of her children alive and safe, she very quietly chanted to herself, "Patience is a virtue. Patience is a virtue."
So two things here: (1) Wow. Just really wow. If I were in charge of giving out awards for superhuman serenity, that woman would definitely get one. And (2) I can never, NEVER be like her. And I want to. I think it would be very good for my blood pressure if I could be like her...the patience part. Not the three kids under the age of two part. That part would probably kill me dead because OH MY GOD, CAN YOU IMAGINE THE CRYING?
See, patience? Not so much something I'm good at. When I'm waiting for something important to come in the mail, I look out the window approximately every 58 seconds to see if the mail truck is visible yet. I start asking about what I'm getting for Christmas right after Halloween (which, by the way? Drives. McMoose. CRAZY.) And rather than order a DVD on sale from the BestBuy website, I'll drive out to the store and pay an extra $10 just so I can have it RIGHT NOW. Which is why we spent about an hour this weekend driving to all the BestBuys and Circuit Citys (Cities?) within a 10 mile radius, looking for the lowest price on a DVD box set, only to find that NONE OF THEM carried the set in store. So I was forced into ordering it online. And now I have to wait FOR TWO WEEKS before I get it. TWO. WEEKS. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH. *Melts into puddle of impatient, green goo.*
No comments:
Post a Comment