Thursday, July 24, 2008

Feeding the Addiction

One of the things I didn't like about our new apartment complex before we moved in is that we were forced to get cable. I felt that it was being forced on me and that I shouldn't have been forced to pay the extra $50 a month for a bunch of channels that I would rarely watch. And I still think it's ridiculous that it's required for all residents. And it's true that most of the channels go unwatched, partly because all they ever play are re-runs of Judge [insert name of sarcastic TV judge here]. But. There are those two or three channels that I now watch NON-STOP.

So it occurs to me now that the real reason I was opposed to this whole mandatory cable thing was not so much because I was being forced to pay for something I didn't want, but rather because I was being forced to pay for something that I DID want. Desperately. TV is my addiction and I now have unrestricted access to it. ALL THE TIME. And you know what? Those documentaries about orphaned tigers? And about people growing all their food in a compost pile? And about people who believe that god lives in their right shoe? Yeah, all those documentaries are still just as good as ever. And I am LOVING IT.

No comments: