Um...what's with the Christmas in July thing? The local radio stations were doing Christmas in July giveaways. There were ads on TV for Christmas in July sales. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if I walked into CVS and found a row of Christmas in July cards. Before this year, the only time I had really even heard the term was in random books or movies. Now all of a sudden, it's this legitimate not-quite-holiday. When did that happen? And, AND. If all that wasn't bad enough, this morning as I was driving to work, I heard an ad on the radio for an "After Christmas Sale." At which point I yelled at the announcer that IT'S NOT CHRISTMAS and the person in the car next to me gave me a very strange look.
So is this just a new gimmick to get people shopping? Because I understand the whole we're-in-a-recession-and-people-aren't-buying-as-much extravaganza, but...um...when I go into Target or Barnes & Noble or Best Buy? It isn't exactly deserted. And even with the sky-high price of gas, it isn't like morning traffic has gotten any lighter. And the drive-thru at McDonalds is still just as long and annoying as it ever was. So is it really necessary to invent a holiday that falls THREE WEEKS after the 4th of July just so people will go buy stuff? And also, what's next? Hanukkah in September? Kwanzaa in April? National Beekeepers' Day in February?
No comments:
Post a Comment